Leg Cramps

So, I bit the bullet and did my first OWS race this past weekend in Wilmington, NC (Swim the Loop- 3.5 mile option). The biggest problem that I had during the race was leg (specifically calf) and foot cramping. I was able to work it out and finish the race, but I have never had cramps that bad either in the pool (1650,1000, 500) or in my OW lake swims (3 miles). Was it the salt water? I had plenty of fluids prior to the swim (water and gatorade & a small cup of coffee) and in the days prior to it. I also had some water and gatorade at the 1 mile and 2 mile aid stations to try and help out. Any suggestions? I am looking at possibly doing the Low Country Splash in Charleston, SC (2.4 or 5 mile) next spring/summer (2018) and would rather not have a repeat performance. Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • I just had the same in a 5.5k race last weekend. But not till the end and when I stopped at the finish. I think it had to do with me sprinting the last couple hundred meters when I saw another swimmer and tried to beat her. I usually barely kick (2-beat, I guess) during my open water races, but for those last couple hundred, I was doing a 6-beat kick. Upon stopping, my right calf cramped up something fierce; I'd never seen it so huge. I had to physically grab my foot with both hands and forcibly bend it through its range of motion till my calf was loose enough to climb the ladder out of the water. Rarely if ever happens to me. Sadly, I can't help you with figuring out what it was.
  • I just had the same in a 5.5k race last weekend. But not till the end and when I stopped at the finish. I think it had to do with me sprinting the last couple hundred meters when I saw another swimmer and tried to beat her. I usually barely kick (2-beat, I guess) during my open water races, but for those last couple hundred, I was doing a 6-beat kick. Upon stopping, my right calf cramped up something fierce; I'd never seen it so huge. I had to physically grab my foot with both hands and forcibly bend it through its range of motion till my calf was loose enough to climb the ladder out of the water. Rarely if ever happens to me. Sadly, I can't help you with figuring out what it was.
Children
No Data