Leg Cramps

So, I bit the bullet and did my first OWS race this past weekend in Wilmington, NC (Swim the Loop- 3.5 mile option). The biggest problem that I had during the race was leg (specifically calf) and foot cramping. I was able to work it out and finish the race, but I have never had cramps that bad either in the pool (1650,1000, 500) or in my OW lake swims (3 miles). Was it the salt water? I had plenty of fluids prior to the swim (water and gatorade & a small cup of coffee) and in the days prior to it. I also had some water and gatorade at the 1 mile and 2 mile aid stations to try and help out. Any suggestions? I am looking at possibly doing the Low Country Splash in Charleston, SC (2.4 or 5 mile) next spring/summer (2018) and would rather not have a repeat performance. Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • I am plagued by leg cramps from time to time, maybe every couple weeks. They jolt me out of bed at 3 AM. They strike after about an hour in the pool at masters team practice. They hit the calf, the shin, the arch of the foot, even on top of the foot. I got them just once in open water at about 1.2 miles. I cannot figure out how to avoid them. People will tell you it's due to dehydration, but like you, I am careful to be well hydrated before a workout. They may say it's an electrolyte imbalance, but I highly doubt that too and have never found a drink formula that will cure it. I can't explain them, only sympathize with your plight.
  • I am plagued by leg cramps from time to time, maybe every couple weeks. They jolt me out of bed at 3 AM. They strike after about an hour in the pool at masters team practice. They hit the calf, the shin, the arch of the foot, even on top of the foot. I got them just once in open water at about 1.2 miles. I cannot figure out how to avoid them. People will tell you it's due to dehydration, but like you, I am careful to be well hydrated before a workout. They may say it's an electrolyte imbalance, but I highly doubt that too and have never found a drink formula that will cure it. I can't explain them, only sympathize with your plight.
Children
No Data