So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • Re standing or walking in standing depth water, a question: I've been in races in which there are sandbar or very shallow water in low tide. In one swim, the water at one point was calf deep, meaning that it was pretty much inevitable that the hand would hit the ground at every stroke. In this case, swimmers pretty much all got up and walked to deeper water (no DQ, as the race in question didn't forbid the practice). I can understand not allowing swimmers to put their feet on the ground if the water is swimmable, although different races have different rules even on that score. But what to do if the water is so shallow as not to allow much, if any, forward progress via swimming? Granted, I'm guessing that races not allowing contact w the ground likely set courses with swimmable water all the way, even if some areas are of standing depth. Thanks for clarifying. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Re standing or walking in standing depth water, a question: I've been in races in which there are sandbar or very shallow water in low tide. In one swim, the water at one point was calf deep, meaning that it was pretty much inevitable that the hand would hit the ground at every stroke. In this case, swimmers pretty much all got up and walked to deeper water (no DQ, as the race in question didn't forbid the practice). I can understand not allowing swimmers to put their feet on the ground if the water is swimmable, although different races have different rules even on that score. But what to do if the water is so shallow as not to allow much, if any, forward progress via swimming? Granted, I'm guessing that races not allowing contact w the ground likely set courses with swimmable water all the way, even if some areas are of standing depth. Thanks for clarifying. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Children
No Data