So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. There are many new swimmers who would like to venture past their comfort zones. This give them thatc additional "scaffolding." (to use the educational parlance.) I believe the race director could qualify it as a finish if no forward progress was made. Similar to that used wiith the weaker Tri swimmers. They usually wean off of it quickly. I would caution sounding "elitist" and other "-its's" as well. This is not a private country club and we do want to encourage people to join, develop skills and have fun in the water as you do. For many the Open Water can be the affordable option for people of limited means yet can be intimidating. Let's use this rule change as a start off a growth mindset in the recreational activity of swimming.
  • You seem to be a "purist" when it comes to swimming. You'll probably be in the front of the pack. There are many new swimmers who would like to venture past their comfort zones. This give them thatc additional "scaffolding." (to use the educational parlance.) I believe the race director could qualify it as a finish if no forward progress was made. Similar to that used wiith the weaker Tri swimmers. They usually wean off of it quickly. I would caution sounding "elitist" and other "-its's" as well. This is not a private country club and we do want to encourage people to join, develop skills and have fun in the water as you do. For many the Open Water can be the affordable option for people of limited means yet can be intimidating. Let's use this rule change as a start off a growth mindset in the recreational activity of swimming.
Children
No Data