So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • The more I think about it and read others thoughts, the more I don't like this rule at all. It gives a crutch to those who haven't put in the time or training to do whatever distance they're doing. It also puts those in jeopardy who actually do need a kayaker to help them out. These people are there for safety - to keep an eye on all of us. If someone hangs on the boat, they should be DQd. This isn't a safe sport where you can just stop for a moment to rest or recover. It's one where you are not only one with the elements, but you're also possibly going to be part of the food chain. I definitely have issues with the new rule and hope that RDs announce that they'll not allow it. It'll be interesting to see stats on how many declare it nor not over time.
  • The more I think about it and read others thoughts, the more I don't like this rule at all. It gives a crutch to those who haven't put in the time or training to do whatever distance they're doing. It also puts those in jeopardy who actually do need a kayaker to help them out. These people are there for safety - to keep an eye on all of us. If someone hangs on the boat, they should be DQd. This isn't a safe sport where you can just stop for a moment to rest or recover. It's one where you are not only one with the elements, but you're also possibly going to be part of the food chain. I definitely have issues with the new rule and hope that RDs announce that they'll not allow it. It'll be interesting to see stats on how many declare it nor not over time.
Children
No Data