So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • I'd wondered about that myself - but for it to work as intended, it'd have to be a post race categorization - I'd assume most swimmers do not start thinking "I'm going to grab onto the third green kayak after my hamstring cramps". Perhaps the rule should have been written for races where swimmers have dedicated kayaks? That would be logistically possible. Shorter races that have 1 kayaker per a # of swimmers would be difficult to allow boat-holding. :2cents:
  • I'd wondered about that myself - but for it to work as intended, it'd have to be a post race categorization - I'd assume most swimmers do not start thinking "I'm going to grab onto the third green kayak after my hamstring cramps". Perhaps the rule should have been written for races where swimmers have dedicated kayaks? That would be logistically possible. Shorter races that have 1 kayaker per a # of swimmers would be difficult to allow boat-holding. :2cents:
Children
No Data