So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • How each person voted is less important than the themes covered: Safety (of swimmer and support personnel), fairness of competition, and encouraging people to try open water. There were lots of mixed feelings expressed by many, many.... many people at the convention on both sides of the subject - I'm not going to try to encapsulate everyone's point/counterpoint. But safe to say it was very thoroughly debated by committees and delegates. IMO, this isn't the last rehash of this rule.
  • How each person voted is less important than the themes covered: Safety (of swimmer and support personnel), fairness of competition, and encouraging people to try open water. There were lots of mixed feelings expressed by many, many.... many people at the convention on both sides of the subject - I'm not going to try to encapsulate everyone's point/counterpoint. But safe to say it was very thoroughly debated by committees and delegates. IMO, this isn't the last rehash of this rule.
Children
No Data