So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • This isn't a good rule for race directors, its good that they allow the RD to used their own discretion, but muddies the waters. RD's get complaints from time to time and now I will have to field questions why I do or don't allow people to rest? It puts more stress on the race directors, many who are already fed up with USMS and go elsewhere for their sanction and insurance. Here in Colorado I was the only race that got a USMS sanction this year. This rule won't help bring anyone back to USMS that left. All of these points are definitely food for thought. At the tri-event I was at yesterday, I witnessed the race director consistently harried by athletes asking why they couldn't park closer to the course, a decision that was made by law enforcement. Even as polite as most of the queries were posited, there were an insane amount of them, and I couldn't help but think that if that part of the lot was blocked (and by law enforcement vehicles) early, there was no point in asking that question until well after the race. It wasn't going to change and asking then only served to harass the race director. As a swimmer, thank you for putting these events together!
  • This isn't a good rule for race directors, its good that they allow the RD to used their own discretion, but muddies the waters. RD's get complaints from time to time and now I will have to field questions why I do or don't allow people to rest? It puts more stress on the race directors, many who are already fed up with USMS and go elsewhere for their sanction and insurance. Here in Colorado I was the only race that got a USMS sanction this year. This rule won't help bring anyone back to USMS that left. All of these points are definitely food for thought. At the tri-event I was at yesterday, I witnessed the race director consistently harried by athletes asking why they couldn't park closer to the course, a decision that was made by law enforcement. Even as polite as most of the queries were posited, there were an insane amount of them, and I couldn't help but think that if that part of the lot was blocked (and by law enforcement vehicles) early, there was no point in asking that question until well after the race. It wasn't going to change and asking then only served to harass the race director. As a swimmer, thank you for putting these events together!
Children
No Data