So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • I, too, of a mixed mind on this - especially coming off of yesterday's 5K swum concurrently on the same course as multiple distances of triathlons (it's a USAT multi-sport event). In this case, I'm glad that the RD recognizes there are precious few open water swims in our area and so graciously includes some open water swims in all of the triathlon events he puts on. But as I'm on my 5th circuit of a 750m course, and I'm having dodge the sprint triathletes who can't be bothered with swimming the whole 750m and choose instead to walk in chest deep water forcing me to swim around them, I start rolling my eyes and grumbling. That said, in open water swimming, no two events are alike. While I might look askance at someone holding onto a boat in a smooth water 5K, if allowing someone to do so in a rough water point to point swim expands the field, I might be OK with it. Ultimately, I'm always swimming against myself and the course. Even though I try to place as well as I can, I recognize that my placing is often more determined by strength of the field rather than my own abilities. I think this sorts me out in favor of the new language, but hoping that RD's opt to be purist more often than not.
  • I, too, of a mixed mind on this - especially coming off of yesterday's 5K swum concurrently on the same course as multiple distances of triathlons (it's a USAT multi-sport event). In this case, I'm glad that the RD recognizes there are precious few open water swims in our area and so graciously includes some open water swims in all of the triathlon events he puts on. But as I'm on my 5th circuit of a 750m course, and I'm having dodge the sprint triathletes who can't be bothered with swimming the whole 750m and choose instead to walk in chest deep water forcing me to swim around them, I start rolling my eyes and grumbling. That said, in open water swimming, no two events are alike. While I might look askance at someone holding onto a boat in a smooth water 5K, if allowing someone to do so in a rough water point to point swim expands the field, I might be OK with it. Ultimately, I'm always swimming against myself and the course. Even though I try to place as well as I can, I recognize that my placing is often more determined by strength of the field rather than my own abilities. I think this sorts me out in favor of the new language, but hoping that RD's opt to be purist more often than not.
Children
No Data