So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • I have mixed feelings about this. It appears to give the RD more control of how s/he wants to run the race and encourage more people to get into OW swimming. But on the other hand, it "dumbs down" the sport and possible leads to people who probably shouldn't be out in open water to feel like they will have a break if they need it. I also don't like that the RD has to announce that it's NOT allowed in the event information. So the default is that it's okay? Hmm...
  • I have mixed feelings about this. It appears to give the RD more control of how s/he wants to run the race and encourage more people to get into OW swimming. But on the other hand, it "dumbs down" the sport and possible leads to people who probably shouldn't be out in open water to feel like they will have a break if they need it. I also don't like that the RD has to announce that it's NOT allowed in the event information. So the default is that it's okay? Hmm...
Children
No Data