So open water swimmers can now hold the boat to rest?

Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking? At first blush, I don't like that it passed. But I'd like to know what it really means for the future of OWS in USMS events.
Parents
  • Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking?I did not vote for or against the proposal (I was serving as Parliamentarian). But I'll take a shot. The approved language as I've copied it is" 303.9 DISQUALIFICATIONS A disqualification can be made only by the referee, the starter or a judge within whose jurisdiction the infraction has been committed. Swimmers shall be disqualified if they: … 303.9.5 Make forward progress by pulling, pushing, or maintaining contact on physical features and/or craft on or near the course, other than the bottom near the start and finish and at specified locations. Event hosts may choose to prohibit deliberate contact between swimmers and craft and/or physical features if it has been announced in the event information. As I see it, what the new rule does is it allows an event director to determine of they wish to follow "purist" open water swimming standards or allow "Tri-style" events.
  • Can we talk about this rule (303.3 I think)? Anyone who was there, whether you voted yea or nay, can you please explain your thinking?I did not vote for or against the proposal (I was serving as Parliamentarian). But I'll take a shot. The approved language as I've copied it is" 303.9 DISQUALIFICATIONS A disqualification can be made only by the referee, the starter or a judge within whose jurisdiction the infraction has been committed. Swimmers shall be disqualified if they: … 303.9.5 Make forward progress by pulling, pushing, or maintaining contact on physical features and/or craft on or near the course, other than the bottom near the start and finish and at specified locations. Event hosts may choose to prohibit deliberate contact between swimmers and craft and/or physical features if it has been announced in the event information. As I see it, what the new rule does is it allows an event director to determine of they wish to follow "purist" open water swimming standards or allow "Tri-style" events.
Children
No Data