Kicking in open water.

How much kicking should be done in open water? I have generally thought that excessive kicking is not very efficient (and more tiring being a large muscle group) in longer distances. When I was out last week, my kayaker said I wasn't kicking at all. I know I don't kick much, but I didn't realize it was so little and so noticeable. So, how much kicking should be done? How much benefit vs energy expenditure?
Parents
  • I thought of this thread as I swam my first 10K on Sunday. Swim to the Moon is a point to point swim on a circuit through five small lakes. The 5K swims the circuit one way, and the 10K swims the circuit there and back. About 4K in, I started to flag, and my shoulders were aching so I switched to a 6-beat kick for about 1500 meters. By the time I hit 8K mark, it was my legs that were tired, but my shoulders were ready to take over so I used a 2-bit kick until about 50 meters left. I agree with Mark on using the 6-beat to start. This Sunday, I'll swim a 5K swim that starts at the same time as 1/3 tri. Too much flailing machismo there at the start. In those situations I start out fast and for first couple of hundred meters until I'm clear.
  • I thought of this thread as I swam my first 10K on Sunday. Swim to the Moon is a point to point swim on a circuit through five small lakes. The 5K swims the circuit one way, and the 10K swims the circuit there and back. About 4K in, I started to flag, and my shoulders were aching so I switched to a 6-beat kick for about 1500 meters. By the time I hit 8K mark, it was my legs that were tired, but my shoulders were ready to take over so I used a 2-bit kick until about 50 meters left. I agree with Mark on using the 6-beat to start. This Sunday, I'll swim a 5K swim that starts at the same time as 1/3 tri. Too much flailing machismo there at the start. In those situations I start out fast and for first couple of hundred meters until I'm clear.
Children
No Data