Kicking in open water.

How much kicking should be done in open water? I have generally thought that excessive kicking is not very efficient (and more tiring being a large muscle group) in longer distances. When I was out last week, my kayaker said I wasn't kicking at all. I know I don't kick much, but I didn't realize it was so little and so noticeable. So, how much kicking should be done? How much benefit vs energy expenditure?
Parents
  • I guess I don't feel so bad now. I'm still a novice, so I have nothing to guide me in OWS but this forum. I was trying to increase my kicking from the start, but after a mile+ it started to wear me down. Anyway, I wasn't in a race, so no harm done. I'll try waiting for the third half mile loop to get a harder kick on next time.
  • I guess I don't feel so bad now. I'm still a novice, so I have nothing to guide me in OWS but this forum. I was trying to increase my kicking from the start, but after a mile+ it started to wear me down. Anyway, I wasn't in a race, so no harm done. I'll try waiting for the third half mile loop to get a harder kick on next time.
Children
No Data