Kicking in open water.

How much kicking should be done in open water? I have generally thought that excessive kicking is not very efficient (and more tiring being a large muscle group) in longer distances. When I was out last week, my kayaker said I wasn't kicking at all. I know I don't kick much, but I didn't realize it was so little and so noticeable. So, how much kicking should be done? How much benefit vs energy expenditure?
Parents
  • Like some have said, it depends on the distance. Shorter races under 2m, yeah, I'll kick more. The longer races, I'll usually just do a 2 beat kick for most of the race then kick strong towards the last 1/2 mile or so to the finish. Or sometimes, to break things up or to creep up on someone from behind, I'll kick at a medium pace for about 10 strokes, then easy, then strong again. It breaks it up a bit more and gives you something to drive towards as you get an opportunity to pass. Don't do it to the detriment of your race, though.
  • Like some have said, it depends on the distance. Shorter races under 2m, yeah, I'll kick more. The longer races, I'll usually just do a 2 beat kick for most of the race then kick strong towards the last 1/2 mile or so to the finish. Or sometimes, to break things up or to creep up on someone from behind, I'll kick at a medium pace for about 10 strokes, then easy, then strong again. It breaks it up a bit more and gives you something to drive towards as you get an opportunity to pass. Don't do it to the detriment of your race, though.
Children
No Data