Kicking in open water.

How much kicking should be done in open water? I have generally thought that excessive kicking is not very efficient (and more tiring being a large muscle group) in longer distances. When I was out last week, my kayaker said I wasn't kicking at all. I know I don't kick much, but I didn't realize it was so little and so noticeable. So, how much kicking should be done? How much benefit vs energy expenditure?
Parents
  • Well if Katie doesn't kick much...On the other hand, it sounds like it would't hurt to kick at little more, especially towards the end. I practiced increasing my kick in the pool this morning. A little awkward. I am doing Donner Lake Saturday; I think I will see how things go increasing my kick on the last stretch. If I don't like it, I can always go back to my wimpy way. Thanks for the input.
  • Well if Katie doesn't kick much...On the other hand, it sounds like it would't hurt to kick at little more, especially towards the end. I practiced increasing my kick in the pool this morning. A little awkward. I am doing Donner Lake Saturday; I think I will see how things go increasing my kick on the last stretch. If I don't like it, I can always go back to my wimpy way. Thanks for the input.
Children
No Data