Kicking in open water.

How much kicking should be done in open water? I have generally thought that excessive kicking is not very efficient (and more tiring being a large muscle group) in longer distances. When I was out last week, my kayaker said I wasn't kicking at all. I know I don't kick much, but I didn't realize it was so little and so noticeable. So, how much kicking should be done? How much benefit vs energy expenditure?
Parents
  • FWIW, Ledecky barely kicks in a 1500 until the last 150-200M. At this most recent World Championship, she maintained a one-beat kick most of the way. Yes, a one beat, kicking only with her left foot. Still went 15:30. You may have to put a little more energy into the kick when you sight, as that motion can push your hips and lower body down. You may occasionally find you need to kick a little more forcefully to drive rotation when you are swimming cross-waved. Otherwise, you don't have to kick any more (or less) than you do swimming long-distance in the pool. If your body posture is good, that may not be very much at all.
  • FWIW, Ledecky barely kicks in a 1500 until the last 150-200M. At this most recent World Championship, she maintained a one-beat kick most of the way. Yes, a one beat, kicking only with her left foot. Still went 15:30. You may have to put a little more energy into the kick when you sight, as that motion can push your hips and lower body down. You may occasionally find you need to kick a little more forcefully to drive rotation when you are swimming cross-waved. Otherwise, you don't have to kick any more (or less) than you do swimming long-distance in the pool. If your body posture is good, that may not be very much at all.
Children
No Data