Swim across america open water newbie

Hello! I've never swam in the open waters before, but I've had some folks in my masters program who have and love it. I'm thinking of doing a swim across america open water event. But have some questions: Is this considered a race or more of a relaxed charity event where you can go as slow as you want? I tried doing a 2k non-stop in the pool, but my pace was really terrible. I don't have any opportunities to swim in the open water as practice, how will I know whether a wet suit is required? What should I bring for such an event? I've heard that I need to learn how to do a "sighting", and since I breathe on my right, to stay on the left end so I can "look" at people and the direction they are going. Any other tips? My 2 main fears of open water: taking in water while breathing and getting kicked in the face. :afraid:
Parents
  • Hello! I've never swam in the open waters before, but I've had some folks in my masters program who have and love it. I'm thinking of doing a swim across america open water event. But have some questions: Is this considered a race or more of a relaxed charity event where you can go as slow as you want? I tried doing a 2k non-stop in the pool, but my pace was really terrible. I don't have any opportunities to swim in the open water as practice, how will I know whether a wet suit is required? What should I bring for such an event? I've heard that I need to learn how to do a "sighting", and since I breathe on my right, to stay on the left end so I can "look" at people and the direction they are going. Any other tips? My 2 main fears of open water: taking in water while breathing and getting kicked in the face. :afraid: You can also check out our Open Water Swimming 101 series.
  • Hello! I've never swam in the open waters before, but I've had some folks in my masters program who have and love it. I'm thinking of doing a swim across america open water event. But have some questions: Is this considered a race or more of a relaxed charity event where you can go as slow as you want? I tried doing a 2k non-stop in the pool, but my pace was really terrible. I don't have any opportunities to swim in the open water as practice, how will I know whether a wet suit is required? What should I bring for such an event? I've heard that I need to learn how to do a "sighting", and since I breathe on my right, to stay on the left end so I can "look" at people and the direction they are going. Any other tips? My 2 main fears of open water: taking in water while breathing and getting kicked in the face. :afraid: You can also check out our Open Water Swimming 101 series.
Children
No Data