Salt Water Taste

I feel silly asking this, but is there anything that can be done to minimize the taste of ocean salt water? I'm planning on doing some ocean swims, and when I practice at the beach, I get nauseated.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I've done a lot of ocean swimming as well as diving, only thing I've found is grabbing a quick drink of fresh water (while swimming), and eating orange wedges as soon as I get out. Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas.
  • Some open water swimmers use diluted mouthwash, but more for the effect saltwater has on the mouth over time. But maybe you have an aversion to salt water? Think you could convince yourself to embrace the beautiful, healing water of the ocean? Or maybe you're actually getting sea sick? Then I'd recommend ginger in any form (preferably a delicious one).
  • I feel silly asking this, but is there anything that can be done to minimize the taste of ocean salt water? I'm planning on doing some ocean swims, and when I practice at the beach, I get nauseated. Swim with your mouth shut. Most swimmers swim with their mouth open, if you work on keeping your mouth shut your tongue won't be taking a salt bath.
  • Agree with Lyn about the ginger for nausea. For cutting the salt a bit, if I'm doing a long swim, many times, my kayaker will bring out gummie bears to break it up. They can melt in your mouth if you put them between the teeth and cheeks.