Carribean vacation swimming

We are planning a trip to the Carribean and trying to decide between Grand Caymans, Aruba or St. Croix. I would love a place to solo swim a couple miles each day safely. Any suggestions? Thanks ! Annie
Parents
  • Of your choices, I've only been to Aruba. Though Aruba probably has some of the nicest beaches in the world, the number of places to swim OW very limited for a few reasons. First, most of the Island is surrounded by rough waters crashing into jagged limestone/corals. There are a few calm areas but it is the second reason, Aruba suffers from over-tourism and much of the best potential areas to OW swim are crowded with recreation traffic. H2O temps range between 79˚F (March) and 84˚F (October) My first OW swim in Aruba I was pulled over by the Coast Guard riding a jet ski while I was swimming beyond the buoyed sections of the Hotel beaches. One OW friendly area is along Boca Catalina to Malmok, which has a dedicated area for swimming and non-motorized activity about 1km long and perhaps 20 to 50m wide in about 200m long sections (have to slip under rope each section). The water is calm and clear and the marine wildlife is OK (though it seems to have dropped off recently). Unfortunately this area is also popular for folks trying to catch their supper from the shoreline. The best area to swim would require a guide to access, and is also busy with fishing boat traffic. I won't even bother mentioning it. Masters Practice is MWF (5:30 to 6:30) at Roly Bissick pool in Saventeta
  • Of your choices, I've only been to Aruba. Though Aruba probably has some of the nicest beaches in the world, the number of places to swim OW very limited for a few reasons. First, most of the Island is surrounded by rough waters crashing into jagged limestone/corals. There are a few calm areas but it is the second reason, Aruba suffers from over-tourism and much of the best potential areas to OW swim are crowded with recreation traffic. H2O temps range between 79˚F (March) and 84˚F (October) My first OW swim in Aruba I was pulled over by the Coast Guard riding a jet ski while I was swimming beyond the buoyed sections of the Hotel beaches. One OW friendly area is along Boca Catalina to Malmok, which has a dedicated area for swimming and non-motorized activity about 1km long and perhaps 20 to 50m wide in about 200m long sections (have to slip under rope each section). The water is calm and clear and the marine wildlife is OK (though it seems to have dropped off recently). Unfortunately this area is also popular for folks trying to catch their supper from the shoreline. The best area to swim would require a guide to access, and is also busy with fishing boat traffic. I won't even bother mentioning it. Masters Practice is MWF (5:30 to 6:30) at Roly Bissick pool in Saventeta
Children
No Data