OWS Race: Cramp, Cramp, Cramp! What gives?

I swam my first open water swim race 2 weekends ago. Well, the first one in several years. All went well except that I battled calf cramps almost the entire way. I NEVER (at least hardly ever) experience cramping in the pool, but my first cramp in my 5K swim struck at about 100 yards into the race. I was able to manage things and did OK. Though every time I tried to swim faster, cramp! Darn it anyway. As a result, I finished with plenty of energy. 10th overall. http://swimthebridge.com/ truetime.racetecresults.com/results.aspx So what, if anything can be done for next year. Stretch? massage? gatorade? Does this sort of thing happen to anyone else, or am alone?
Parents
  • Regular pool swimmer here, and occasional open water racer. I would regularly get cramps in my calves for the first 6-9 months after I got back into the sport, but hadn't really had any problems in the pool for the last year +. But I got a pretty bad cramp at the USMS 2- Mile Cable National Championship earlier this summer. I was able to finish, but it really ruined my race. I was quite aggravated to walk out of the water and not really feel winded. Cost me two places in age group at a minimum, maybe 3. Upon reflection, I realized I was quite tense in general because of the high density of traffic, and because the course markings weren't as obvious as I had envisioned. (There was no "cable," just small, spherical buoys every 10m which were difficult to see over all the bodies). I also realized I was drastically over-kicking to compensate for poor sighting technique. The next weekend, I went to another open water event. I was much more mindful of staying relaxed, of not over-lifting my head to sight, and of not drifting into an extreme loping stroke. I had no cramping, and swam much a much better race, finishing 2nd overall.
  • Regular pool swimmer here, and occasional open water racer. I would regularly get cramps in my calves for the first 6-9 months after I got back into the sport, but hadn't really had any problems in the pool for the last year +. But I got a pretty bad cramp at the USMS 2- Mile Cable National Championship earlier this summer. I was able to finish, but it really ruined my race. I was quite aggravated to walk out of the water and not really feel winded. Cost me two places in age group at a minimum, maybe 3. Upon reflection, I realized I was quite tense in general because of the high density of traffic, and because the course markings weren't as obvious as I had envisioned. (There was no "cable," just small, spherical buoys every 10m which were difficult to see over all the bodies). I also realized I was drastically over-kicking to compensate for poor sighting technique. The next weekend, I went to another open water event. I was much more mindful of staying relaxed, of not over-lifting my head to sight, and of not drifting into an extreme loping stroke. I had no cramping, and swam much a much better race, finishing 2nd overall.
Children
No Data