OWS Race: Cramp, Cramp, Cramp! What gives?

I swam my first open water swim race 2 weekends ago. Well, the first one in several years. All went well except that I battled calf cramps almost the entire way. I NEVER (at least hardly ever) experience cramping in the pool, but my first cramp in my 5K swim struck at about 100 yards into the race. I was able to manage things and did OK. Though every time I tried to swim faster, cramp! Darn it anyway. As a result, I finished with plenty of energy. 10th overall. http://swimthebridge.com/ truetime.racetecresults.com/results.aspx So what, if anything can be done for next year. Stretch? massage? gatorade? Does this sort of thing happen to anyone else, or am alone?
Parents
  • Some of the most common causes of cramping are: 1) Overuse of a muscle 2) Dehydration 3) Electrolyte imbalance 4) Alcohol consumption 5) Inadequate blood flow to the legs- In your case, #1 seems unlikely. And if you hydrated properly in the morning before the race, #2 also is unlikely. #3, #4 and #5 are the ones I've had the most experience with. Even just a couple of beers the day before a long-distance race can make it more likely for me to cramp. Also, I've worn suits that were very tight that I didn't have any trouble racing in when in the pool on shorter stuff, but that led to extreme cramping on longer swims. I now normally take a calcuim/magensium (500mg/1000mg) supplement and it has dramatically reduced the amount of cramping I experience on longer swims and longer workouts. This is the one I use: www.amazon.com/.../
  • Some of the most common causes of cramping are: 1) Overuse of a muscle 2) Dehydration 3) Electrolyte imbalance 4) Alcohol consumption 5) Inadequate blood flow to the legs- In your case, #1 seems unlikely. And if you hydrated properly in the morning before the race, #2 also is unlikely. #3, #4 and #5 are the ones I've had the most experience with. Even just a couple of beers the day before a long-distance race can make it more likely for me to cramp. Also, I've worn suits that were very tight that I didn't have any trouble racing in when in the pool on shorter stuff, but that led to extreme cramping on longer swims. I now normally take a calcuim/magensium (500mg/1000mg) supplement and it has dramatically reduced the amount of cramping I experience on longer swims and longer workouts. This is the one I use: www.amazon.com/.../
Children
No Data