Mirrored vs polarized | First open-water goggles for the Sun

Former Member
Former Member
Hello! I am looking to a second pair of goggles, strictly for use on sunny days in open water. I already have a pair of Swedes that I use in every other case, but I need something else for open-water swims in the ocean or lakes. I was looking at both the Kayenne and the Kaiman from Aquasphere, and I noticed that the Kayenne comes in both a polarized and a mirrored lens option. Does anyone have any experience with both of these styles (in any brand) and can comment on what the real-world difference is like? I have always used polarized lenses in my prescription sunglasses, so I am already familiar with how they work. But is there really any advantage to them when you're in the water? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I have both the mirror and the polarized in the Kayenne. My vote would be for the polarized. The mirrored are a dark grey lense vs the polarized with the amber lense. The filtering of the amber vs dark grey makes for better visibility. I swim the ocean doing backstroke, and sometimes I prefer the darker mirrored, but overall I prefer the polarized. Thank you airborne! That is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I had no idea that the underlying lens color was different between the polarized (amber) and the mirrored (grey) coating. I have never used any lens tints other than clear and grey in either my goggles or my sunglasses, so I didn't even consider buying amber lenses. I can see how using a grey/mirrored lens would be more comfortable when doing the backstroke. I mostly swim the breaststroke, so I guess I should go with either the amber or the amber/polarized lens. Can anyone else share their experience on the benefits of polarization in a swim goggle? The polarization will only be in effect when your head is out of the water, right? So do you notice that much of a difference during the actual swim event, or is it mostly for the benefit of glare-free vision on the surface before/after?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I have both the mirror and the polarized in the Kayenne. My vote would be for the polarized. The mirrored are a dark grey lense vs the polarized with the amber lense. The filtering of the amber vs dark grey makes for better visibility. I swim the ocean doing backstroke, and sometimes I prefer the darker mirrored, but overall I prefer the polarized. Thank you airborne! That is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I had no idea that the underlying lens color was different between the polarized (amber) and the mirrored (grey) coating. I have never used any lens tints other than clear and grey in either my goggles or my sunglasses, so I didn't even consider buying amber lenses. I can see how using a grey/mirrored lens would be more comfortable when doing the backstroke. I mostly swim the breaststroke, so I guess I should go with either the amber or the amber/polarized lens. Can anyone else share their experience on the benefits of polarization in a swim goggle? The polarization will only be in effect when your head is out of the water, right? So do you notice that much of a difference during the actual swim event, or is it mostly for the benefit of glare-free vision on the surface before/after?
Children
No Data