First OWS

Did my first ever OWS this evening. Very enjoyable. I've swum in pools all my life, but never went more than a few yards in a lake. So I joined a local Tri club and went to their Tuesday night practice, a 1/2 mile loop around a small, quiet lake. There are no motor boats allowed. I'd say it's a little bit tougher than pool swimming. It was different. I'm not accustomed to a hundred other arms and legs flailing around me, and I probably went a tad faster than I should have. I may have gotten just a bit carried away with the mass start. In the beginning, it was very muddy and weedy but once away from shore it was OK. There was only a tiny chop from wind, but more from other swimmers, and I had to keep looking forward to stay in line with the buoys. After a couple hundred yards though, I was pretty much alone and on cruise control.
Parents
  • OK, I did it, signed up for the 1 mile OWS in Lake Placid, NY, Aug 13. I have never done a swim race of any distance in any water before, so this will be something completely new at age 68. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Oh yeah, and there's another one in Lake George, NY, Aug 27, 2.5 Km. I'll wait to see how I feel after this one before deciding on the next. Congratulations Jack, I'm sure you'll love it. I started swimming last year at 63 and the transformation in my general fitness is so remarkable. I swim 4-6 days a week now, open water every weekend in summer, and enter as many races as possible with 3 goals: have fun, finish the race, and (a very soft goal) don't finish last. I'll be in Lake George on Aug. 27th for the 10K, maybe we'll run into each other. Have a blast in Lake Placid.
  • OK, I did it, signed up for the 1 mile OWS in Lake Placid, NY, Aug 13. I have never done a swim race of any distance in any water before, so this will be something completely new at age 68. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Oh yeah, and there's another one in Lake George, NY, Aug 27, 2.5 Km. I'll wait to see how I feel after this one before deciding on the next. Congratulations Jack, I'm sure you'll love it. I started swimming last year at 63 and the transformation in my general fitness is so remarkable. I swim 4-6 days a week now, open water every weekend in summer, and enter as many races as possible with 3 goals: have fun, finish the race, and (a very soft goal) don't finish last. I'll be in Lake George on Aug. 27th for the 10K, maybe we'll run into each other. Have a blast in Lake Placid.
Children
No Data