First OWS

Did my first ever OWS this evening. Very enjoyable. I've swum in pools all my life, but never went more than a few yards in a lake. So I joined a local Tri club and went to their Tuesday night practice, a 1/2 mile loop around a small, quiet lake. There are no motor boats allowed. I'd say it's a little bit tougher than pool swimming. It was different. I'm not accustomed to a hundred other arms and legs flailing around me, and I probably went a tad faster than I should have. I may have gotten just a bit carried away with the mass start. In the beginning, it was very muddy and weedy but once away from shore it was OK. There was only a tiny chop from wind, but more from other swimmers, and I had to keep looking forward to stay in line with the buoys. After a couple hundred yards though, I was pretty much alone and on cruise control.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Congrats! That sounds like a great start! I have not done open water swimming in many years and recently started with some short 1KM swims in the Adriatic. Luckily I have been able to avoid the groups of jellyfish and the waves make things much more sporty! I need to find a nice lake but I just love saltwater.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Congrats! That sounds like a great start! I have not done open water swimming in many years and recently started with some short 1KM swims in the Adriatic. Luckily I have been able to avoid the groups of jellyfish and the waves make things much more sporty! I need to find a nice lake but I just love saltwater.
Children
No Data