First OWS

Did my first ever OWS this evening. Very enjoyable. I've swum in pools all my life, but never went more than a few yards in a lake. So I joined a local Tri club and went to their Tuesday night practice, a 1/2 mile loop around a small, quiet lake. There are no motor boats allowed. I'd say it's a little bit tougher than pool swimming. It was different. I'm not accustomed to a hundred other arms and legs flailing around me, and I probably went a tad faster than I should have. I may have gotten just a bit carried away with the mass start. In the beginning, it was very muddy and weedy but once away from shore it was OK. There was only a tiny chop from wind, but more from other swimmers, and I had to keep looking forward to stay in line with the buoys. After a couple hundred yards though, I was pretty much alone and on cruise control.
Parents
  • Just wait until you get into super clear water where you can see all kinds of things while you're swimming. It's pure heaven. No such thing in New York. Plus, the best lakes are so full of boats, it would be dangerous to go more than 15 yds off shore. Sumorunner Time for a day trip to the Finger Lakes! Crystal clear water, light boat traffic (away from the larger lake shore towns and occasional marina). Such a paradise for OW swimming, but with a few exceptions, not well known in the OWS community. How I wish I lived closer...
  • Just wait until you get into super clear water where you can see all kinds of things while you're swimming. It's pure heaven. No such thing in New York. Plus, the best lakes are so full of boats, it would be dangerous to go more than 15 yds off shore. Sumorunner Time for a day trip to the Finger Lakes! Crystal clear water, light boat traffic (away from the larger lake shore towns and occasional marina). Such a paradise for OW swimming, but with a few exceptions, not well known in the OWS community. How I wish I lived closer...
Children
No Data