First Open Water race coming up

Hello, I am a new USMS member. I joined because I signed up for an upcoming 5 mile race in the open water in Maryland. Does anyone have tips for a newbie to open water races? My endurance is pretty good, but I hired a personal trainer to try and lose some pounds doing dryland workouts, as well as running, even though I hate running with a passion. Thanks for any help/advice!
Parents
  • I read something wonderful, somewhere about long swims. The swimmer said that whenever s/he got tired, discouraged, and thought of quitting, the thought that there was nothing else s/he would rather be doing aside from swimming kept them going. I'm glad to say I haven't needed that dose of medicine yet (longest swim was 4 1/2 hours of pure pleasure) but I probably will sometime this summer as I stretch my limits.
  • I read something wonderful, somewhere about long swims. The swimmer said that whenever s/he got tired, discouraged, and thought of quitting, the thought that there was nothing else s/he would rather be doing aside from swimming kept them going. I'm glad to say I haven't needed that dose of medicine yet (longest swim was 4 1/2 hours of pure pleasure) but I probably will sometime this summer as I stretch my limits.
Children
No Data