First Open Water race coming up

Hello, I am a new USMS member. I joined because I signed up for an upcoming 5 mile race in the open water in Maryland. Does anyone have tips for a newbie to open water races? My endurance is pretty good, but I hired a personal trainer to try and lose some pounds doing dryland workouts, as well as running, even though I hate running with a passion. Thanks for any help/advice!
Parents
  • I too am looking toward my first OW race, first swim race of any kind. Unlike NickgOW, I always enjoyed running and have run close to 500 races lifetime. Swimming was strictly cross-training. Unfortunately, at 68, arthritis now prohibits running, so I am setting my sights on the Lake George, NY, OWS in late August (2.5K). I began the year with a goal of a 40 min mile, even signed up for a masters swim class last winter and was progressing well, but then lost 2 mos of training to arthritis again. I'm now back into easy swims and feel I can begin to crank up both intensity and distance, but I don't know how to approach it. Whereas I had been swimming 2000-2500 yds 3-4 days a week, now I'm doing 1000 yds in about 26:40. What sort of yardage do I need to be doing regularly and what intervals might be best? I have access to both a 25yd indoor and 50m outdoor pool.
  • I too am looking toward my first OW race, first swim race of any kind. Unlike NickgOW, I always enjoyed running and have run close to 500 races lifetime. Swimming was strictly cross-training. Unfortunately, at 68, arthritis now prohibits running, so I am setting my sights on the Lake George, NY, OWS in late August (2.5K). I began the year with a goal of a 40 min mile, even signed up for a masters swim class last winter and was progressing well, but then lost 2 mos of training to arthritis again. I'm now back into easy swims and feel I can begin to crank up both intensity and distance, but I don't know how to approach it. Whereas I had been swimming 2000-2500 yds 3-4 days a week, now I'm doing 1000 yds in about 26:40. What sort of yardage do I need to be doing regularly and what intervals might be best? I have access to both a 25yd indoor and 50m outdoor pool.
Children
No Data