Oh the joys of open water swimming

Former Member
Former Member
  • I have SCUBA dived within inches of nurse sharks dozens of times. They usually hang out on the bottom or under ledges unlike the more ferocious sharks. Gotta wonder what she was doing to provoke it. That said, don't start cranking up the Jaws Music quite yet....
  • She was pulling on the sharks tail. 'nuff said.
  • "The shark was killed before fire rescue arrived, ..." Another senseless shark killing. When will people learn to coexist with our aquatic friends?
  • She was pulling on the sharks tail. 'nuff said. www.newsweek.com/provoked-nurse-shark-bites-florida-woman-and-wont-let-go-460409 Apparently the shark was provoked. As usual the answer to the question "What were they thinking?" is "They weren't!" Excerpts from link: Witnesses told the Sun Sentinel that one or more people had grabbed the shark’s tail before it bit the young woman, which would be in keeping with everything we know about nurse sharks. Normally, these creatures shy away from humans and are quite docile; there are no records of them attacking unprovoked, says George Burgess, a shark researcher with the Florida Museum of Natural History , nurse shark bites are one of the most difficult kind to recover from. They also often don’t let go once they’ve latched on, he adds
  • I think wildlife needs protection from people these days. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Whom to blame The women or The shark... its an unfortunate to shark and its a OMG for women
  • Yikes! The orcas scare me more than sharks do. They don't play games! Yikes!
  • Former Member
    Shetland wild swimmer's close encounter with bull orca Catriona Barr was wild swimming in the sea near Lerwick when she spotted the bull orca underneath her. Her attention was drawn to the mammal after she noticed people on the shore were watching her. Erik Isbister, who was watching from the shoreline, believed the orca may have mistaken Ms Barr for a seal.
  • Former Member
    www.newsweek.com/provoked-nurse-shark-bites-florida-woman-and-wont-let-go-460409 Apparently the shark was provoked. As usual the answer to the question "What were they thinking?" is "They weren't!" Excerpts from link: Witnesses told the Sun Sentinel that one or more people had grabbed the shark’s tail before it bit the young woman, which would be in keeping with everything we know about nurse sharks. Normally, these creatures shy away from humans and are quite docile; there are no records of them attacking unprovoked, says George Burgess, a shark researcher with the Florida Museum of Natural History , nurse shark bites are one of the most difficult kind to recover from. They also often don’t let go once they’ve latched on, he adds what a shame :( just what did she have to grab its tail ?? so unfortunate..