Sighting and less than 20:20 vision

My first open water race is coming up next month. I've practiced sighting simulations in the pool, but the practice buoy is only at the other side of the pool. I assume the real thing will be much more distant. I do not have access to open water to practice before my race and am worried about whether I will be able to see the buoy. Just how far away is customary? The swim in question is the Oxford-Bellevue Sharkfest, a 1500 m across the Tred-Avon River in Maryland. It is a straight line, not a triangle. Since this is my first such event, my goal is just to finish safely within the 40 minute DQ cut-off. For Masters practice I have been wearing Speedo Vanquisher -2.00 strength optical goggles in order to read the whiteboard. (I can read the digital clock fine without magnification). I find these goggles uncomfortable after about 500 yards. When not at formal practice, I usually wear Aqua Sphere Lady Kaiman. They fit me great and are much more comfortable, but aren't available as optical goggles. I haven't found any optical goggles that fit like the Aquasphere or are open water style. So my question is do I wear the comfortable goggles that compromise my vision or the uncomfortable ones that let me see better?
Parents
  • I have tried the TYR, but they were way to big on me and leaked badly. I did like the gasket and thought they also had sharper optics than Speedo so would definitely recommend them to larger people. That Roka looks interesting, particularly since it appears to come in a woman's size -- I haven't had good luck with unisex goggles. How does the Kiefer differ from Speedo? They look much the same but subtle differences in gasket could make a world of difference. Thanks for the sighting large optics tip. I have done that for recreational open water swimming.
  • I have tried the TYR, but they were way to big on me and leaked badly. I did like the gasket and thought they also had sharper optics than Speedo so would definitely recommend them to larger people. That Roka looks interesting, particularly since it appears to come in a woman's size -- I haven't had good luck with unisex goggles. How does the Kiefer differ from Speedo? They look much the same but subtle differences in gasket could make a world of difference. Thanks for the sighting large optics tip. I have done that for recreational open water swimming.
Children
No Data