Getting started in Chicago

Hi, I apologize for the newbie question. I'm new to swimming (kind of) but wanted to get started doing open water swimming once the weather in Chicago starts to behave. I'm currently swimming 2000-2500 pool yards 2-3x a week (in addition to running 20 miles a week.) I did sign up for the Big Shoulders 5k outdoor swim mid September as a outdoor goal. I'm not swimming for time - I'm swimming just to compete and finish. So a few questions: 1) Suggestions on wetsuits? I don't want to say "money is no object" but I'd rather pay to do it right the first time. 2) Did I bite off more than I can chew? I can do little over 1000 yards without stopping but 5 months to 5k - bad idea? 3) Any other advice?
Parents
  • You should be able to get to 5k by the end of the summer. Some things to keep in mind: You can stop and rest at any point during the swim - do easy breaststroke or just float. Wetsuit should make you buoyant enough Big Shoulders 5K is two loops of the course. Always an option to get out at the 2.5K point - just let the people at the finish know Rent some different wetsuits and try them to find one you like before you buy. Use the race day wetsuit a few times before race day. You can practice at Ohio Street beach all summer. Take advantage of this and get comfortable swimming there before the race. Practice in open water a few times without the wetsuit if temperatures permit Good Luck! Let's hope weather for Big Shoulders is better than last year! NickCharles = The Thin Man?
  • You should be able to get to 5k by the end of the summer. Some things to keep in mind: You can stop and rest at any point during the swim - do easy breaststroke or just float. Wetsuit should make you buoyant enough Big Shoulders 5K is two loops of the course. Always an option to get out at the 2.5K point - just let the people at the finish know Rent some different wetsuits and try them to find one you like before you buy. Use the race day wetsuit a few times before race day. You can practice at Ohio Street beach all summer. Take advantage of this and get comfortable swimming there before the race. Practice in open water a few times without the wetsuit if temperatures permit Good Luck! Let's hope weather for Big Shoulders is better than last year! NickCharles = The Thin Man?
Children
No Data