Mens vs. Womens Cut Wetsuits

I'm hoping you all might be able to give me some advice on a men's vs. women's wetsuit. According to all the sizing charts, I'm sized out of the women's suits and need to order a men's. I'm 6' and 173-175lb. Depending on the brand, it may be a medium, medium/large or medium/long. I have another 6' friend who purchased a men's wetsuit and was pleased. But in thinking through it further, she's probably closer to 155-160 and has a boxy, athletic shape. I've got a pronounced hourglass shape going on. Are these things pretty much cut the same or am I going to find more room in the chest and hips on a womens suit? To make it even more complicated I'm looking at sleeveless suits, which appear to have a very wide cut on the mens styles - I'm worried that they'd take on a bunch of water. Yes, ideally I would be able to go somewhere and try these things on but so far the only place I've found is a little over an hour away and carries only Blue Seventy. And I believe only one style of Blue Seventy. I do plan on making that drive but I'd like to consider more than one brand in my decision and am going to find an online store with a suitable return policy. So can you tell me anything about if there is a difference in the cut of mens vs. womens? If it makes a difference, I am a competitive swimmer who is nervous about the buoyancy and I'll be using it in generally "warmer" waters from 60 - 75 degrees because I dislike the cold.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I'm a larger woman, 5'9 and 220. When I bought my wetsuit (a blue seventy tri suit) I assumed that I would need men's sizes based on the weights listed. I was wrong. The men's sizes were impossible to get over my hips and chest (I've got curves) and the women's ones stretched to fit. The really expensive ones I tried on (upwards of $400) fit best, but I wasn't willing to spend that at the time. Instead I spent under $200 and got a women's rental return from a local outfitter. If you have a curvy body, get the woman's suit.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I'm a larger woman, 5'9 and 220. When I bought my wetsuit (a blue seventy tri suit) I assumed that I would need men's sizes based on the weights listed. I was wrong. The men's sizes were impossible to get over my hips and chest (I've got curves) and the women's ones stretched to fit. The really expensive ones I tried on (upwards of $400) fit best, but I wasn't willing to spend that at the time. Instead I spent under $200 and got a women's rental return from a local outfitter. If you have a curvy body, get the woman's suit.
Children
No Data