Newbie Training

Former Member
Former Member
I have had a challenge posed to me and I wanted to see if I have any chance before accepting this bet. I have been challenged to complete a 9 mile lake swim next August. I am by no means a swimmer currently. I am a weightlifter and on again off again cyclist. So, would you much more experienced minds think it is possible to swim 9 miles in 11 months when I m basically starting from 0. If so, do you have any training advice?
Parents
  • There is a USMS thread and a Marathon Swimming Forum thread that you will probably find helpful. To give some perspective, a 9 mile swim is roughly equivalent athletically to a 36 mile run - for someone who is equally good at running and swimming. For a runner, swimming 9 miles might be more like running 50 miles or even more, if they are an inefficient swimmer (if they can finish that long a swim at all). Since you don't have a strong swimming background, and you don't have much time, a Masters team with an experienced coach would be the way to go. Even with a good coach and team, there is a very good chance that a 9 miler is just too big a goal for 11 months. But, if you're highly, highly motivated, already fit, have an extra hour or 2 most days, and have a good feel for the water maybe you can do it.
  • There is a USMS thread and a Marathon Swimming Forum thread that you will probably find helpful. To give some perspective, a 9 mile swim is roughly equivalent athletically to a 36 mile run - for someone who is equally good at running and swimming. For a runner, swimming 9 miles might be more like running 50 miles or even more, if they are an inefficient swimmer (if they can finish that long a swim at all). Since you don't have a strong swimming background, and you don't have much time, a Masters team with an experienced coach would be the way to go. Even with a good coach and team, there is a very good chance that a 9 miler is just too big a goal for 11 months. But, if you're highly, highly motivated, already fit, have an extra hour or 2 most days, and have a good feel for the water maybe you can do it.
Children
No Data