First Open Water Race, How's the Start?

Long time pool racer, getting ready to swim my first open water race in a few weeks. I'm curious about whether people typically converse and try to self-sort by pace before the start, letting the faster swimmers line up towards the front, or whether it's usually just a "first come, first served" situation with things getting sorted out in a scrum after the gun.
Parents
  • Also be careful about starting out too fast. I did that on one swim--everyone started sprinting toward the first buoy and not wanting to get off course, I started sprinting also. Then I was so winded I needed to stop and do breaststroke for a few minutes to regroup (and btw, it's perfectly okay to do that!). After taking that little bit of time, I felt better and could continue at my normal pace. Good luck and enjoy! Haha. I know that one. It takes everything I have not to take off with those sprinting towards that first buoy when everyone else is. I'm not always successful at restraint and find myself kicking myself the rest of the swim.
  • Also be careful about starting out too fast. I did that on one swim--everyone started sprinting toward the first buoy and not wanting to get off course, I started sprinting also. Then I was so winded I needed to stop and do breaststroke for a few minutes to regroup (and btw, it's perfectly okay to do that!). After taking that little bit of time, I felt better and could continue at my normal pace. Good luck and enjoy! Haha. I know that one. It takes everything I have not to take off with those sprinting towards that first buoy when everyone else is. I'm not always successful at restraint and find myself kicking myself the rest of the swim.
Children
No Data