First Open Water Race, How's the Start?

Long time pool racer, getting ready to swim my first open water race in a few weeks. I'm curious about whether people typically converse and try to self-sort by pace before the start, letting the faster swimmers line up towards the front, or whether it's usually just a "first come, first served" situation with things getting sorted out in a scrum after the gun.
Parents
  • I've experienced different kinds of starts (in water and from land)--not as many as srcoyote, and just about all my swims were smallish. As a not-so-speedy swimmer, I've been fine w/ starting at the back. But as suggested, check results from previous races and compare with your pace. Also be careful about starting out too fast. I did that on one swim--everyone started sprinting toward the first buoy and not wanting to get off course, I started sprinting also. Then I was so winded I needed to stop and do breaststroke for a few minutes to regroup (and btw, it's perfectly okay to do that!). After taking that little bit of time, I felt better and could continue at my normal pace. Good luck and enjoy!
  • I've experienced different kinds of starts (in water and from land)--not as many as srcoyote, and just about all my swims were smallish. As a not-so-speedy swimmer, I've been fine w/ starting at the back. But as suggested, check results from previous races and compare with your pace. Also be careful about starting out too fast. I did that on one swim--everyone started sprinting toward the first buoy and not wanting to get off course, I started sprinting also. Then I was so winded I needed to stop and do breaststroke for a few minutes to regroup (and btw, it's perfectly okay to do that!). After taking that little bit of time, I felt better and could continue at my normal pace. Good luck and enjoy!
Children
No Data