First Open Water Race, How's the Start?

Long time pool racer, getting ready to swim my first open water race in a few weeks. I'm curious about whether people typically converse and try to self-sort by pace before the start, letting the faster swimmers line up towards the front, or whether it's usually just a "first come, first served" situation with things getting sorted out in a scrum after the gun.
Parents
  • It depends on the event and the type of start (on-land, in water, mass, wave, time trial etc). Unless the event lines people up by seed time, there is typically some degree of self sorting, but this is usually just the people who are more interested in finishing lining up near the back of the start. And there will frequently be a few slower swimmers on the front line. My suggestion to first time open water swimmers is to stay away from a bunched start and move to the far left (right side breathers) or far right (left side breathers). This way you have clear water and you can sight off the pack during a normal breath.
  • It depends on the event and the type of start (on-land, in water, mass, wave, time trial etc). Unless the event lines people up by seed time, there is typically some degree of self sorting, but this is usually just the people who are more interested in finishing lining up near the back of the start. And there will frequently be a few slower swimmers on the front line. My suggestion to first time open water swimmers is to stay away from a bunched start and move to the far left (right side breathers) or far right (left side breathers). This way you have clear water and you can sight off the pack during a normal breath.
Children
No Data