double duty wetsuit?

I already own a wetsuit that I use for paddling (NRS Ultra Jane 3.0 Terraprene). I signed up for the 2 Bridges Swim and I'm wondering whether it's a reasonable suit to swim in. I will not have the opportunity to try it out in open water before the swim, and I'm not sure whether trying it out in the pool will be a reasonable test (I'm concerned I'll overheat. It's very comfortable and stretchy). A few key descriptions below: 4-way-stretch PowerSpanTm panels that wrap from the tops of your shoulders to your belt line and along the sides adapt to your movements for unrestricted range of motion and improve fit. 3 mm TerrapreneTm neoprene provides outstanding insulation in cold conditions. I'm not in it to win it, I'm a slow swimmer and this will be my first open water swim in cold water, though I do plan on rolling around in the water while kayaking the weekend before the swim. Thanks for any advice, Lyn
  • I would suggest that you try the wetsuit before the event. You do not need to keep it on for the entire workout. Just long enough to see how it feels when you swim. You do not want to find out there is a problem on the day of your event.
  • So people can wear wetsuits in 2 Bridges? I wasn't planning to -- and requested to change to the 2.5k (need to adjust to cold water, but bit early in the season to go 5k in 60something degrees). A friend lent me a sleeveless wetsuit and it might be something to consider. I wore it once when water temp was in the 50s--helped with warmth but felt strange... I typically don't wear wetsuits, so it took some getting used to, but wanted to get in some early season o.w. swimming. Still, as I'm on a Boston Light relay team in August, I don't want to get too dependent on wetsuits. I'm thinking 2.5k might well be doable w/out the wetsuit if we're talking about even low sixties (swam relatively recently in 64 degree water w/out a wetsuit--a little chilly at first but fine once I was in a while).
  • Buy a wetsuit. Then enter more open water events so cost per use goes down!
  • Yes, at registration it asked whether or not the swimmer would be wearing a wetsuit. My paddling wet suit won't work, it's too heavy. Am debating whether to go ahead and buy one or just tough it out. Could be wrong but water in Poughkeepsie is not projected to reach 64 by May 30.
  • Considering that....but I think I can tolerate mid 60s if the temps get there. I'm not sure, it's all new to me. The 2 Bridges swim seems like a perfect start as there is a shorter option if the cold gets to be too much.
  • Check your local triathlon or bike store. Sometimes you can rent wetsuits.
  • I will not have the opportunity to try it out in open water before the swim... Using athletic equipment or clothing for the first time in a competitive event, without having tested it first, is ill advised. Dan
  • Thanks everyone for the advice. I've tried and returned 2 suits, one more coming and if that doesn't fit I'm just going to swim without one. If it does, I'll try it out in the pool before the swim, but it's unlikely, I'm shaped kinda funny to be buying tri gear. Reports are the water will be around 64, though charts I've seen say lower. I think I can tolerate 60+ for at least the first 2.5K, but who knows. At 62, I'm not in it for the competition, I'm in it for the joy of swimming in the open water and it will be a learning experience no matter what happens.
  • My thought too--just in for the experience and fun! I still have the sleeveless wetsuit a friend lent me, but now that you mention it I do remember being asked if I was /wasn't wearing a wetsuit, and as I didn't have one at the time, I said no. I'll stick to that since wearing the wetsuit that one time felt strange. Yes, it made me warmer, but also felt constricting. I feel more free with a swimsuit. I've been good w/ 60something temps. Fifties would be dicey. And I've settled on doing the 2.5k--not familiar enough with the Hudson to chance swimming 3+ miles. Will still get some great cool water practice even at that.