Entered 2 Bridges 5k swim 5/31--input on the race, please?

Hey folk, My masters team-mate talked me into this one: cibbows.org/.../2-bridges-swim Now I'm getting nervous b/c if it's in the Hudson on a rectangular course, then part of it will be against the current--with a current assist, I think I can make the cut-off, but if I'm fighting a current in the Hudson... hmmm.... Yet I like the idea of doing this swim b/c it'll be a great tune-up for a 5 miler I'm planning to do in July. Wondering if I'd be wiser to switch to the 2.5k. There's time between now and then, and I've been training pretty regularly. My group starts o.w. swims in May (in cold water!). If you've done this swim, how is the current at that section of the river? From what I've heard it's very strong around Manhattan but this is further up, so maybe gentler? My friend from the group is a better swimmer than I am, and I feel confident he'll handle it with ease. Not as sure about me. Thanks for any suggestions!
Parents
  • I'd love if they'd have something like this: www.phillyrivercast.org/ On the home page, there is a Schuylkill Rivercast, which indicates water quality for a given day (upper left corner) and explains the significance of the three different colors. Green, for instance, is okay for just about any activity; yellow and red indicate warnings, with red to be taken most seriously. I found this for Ploughkeepsie: www.riverkeeper.org/.../ More detailed, but I admit I like the simplicity of the Philly one.
  • I'd love if they'd have something like this: www.phillyrivercast.org/ On the home page, there is a Schuylkill Rivercast, which indicates water quality for a given day (upper left corner) and explains the significance of the three different colors. Green, for instance, is okay for just about any activity; yellow and red indicate warnings, with red to be taken most seriously. I found this for Ploughkeepsie: www.riverkeeper.org/.../ More detailed, but I admit I like the simplicity of the Philly one.
Children
No Data