Caribbean vacation spots with open water swimming options

Hi, swimmers! I'm planning a family vacation to the Caribbean and would really like to go somewhere I can swim 2-3 miles solo daily in the ocean, bay or sound. (So maybe close to shore for safety?) Anyone have recommendations for particular hotels that would allow this option without too much travel time? I have two children, ages 9, and 11 and a non-swimming husband, so family-friendly is a must.
Parents
  • St Thomas has a huge, beautiful Megan's bay you can swim at safely. In St Croix you could stay at the Marriot (used to be the Carambola Resort) at Cane Bay; then swim there or you could go to Tamarind Reef hotel and swim near there. Tamarind Reef is a nice, quaint hotel with a fun pool bar, but is a very basic hotel. It's one of my favorites because it is so simple. You could also probably be fine at the Buccaneer which is just up the road from Tamarind Reef. The Bucc has a nice beach and a peninsula you can swim around. IT also has a beast of a golf course for your hubby and good snorkeling for the kids at all three places. St John is spectacular and has several beautiful bays/beaches on the north side. If you can swing the Westin, it also has a beautiful pool that, in a pinch, you could do laps in.
  • St Thomas has a huge, beautiful Megan's bay you can swim at safely. In St Croix you could stay at the Marriot (used to be the Carambola Resort) at Cane Bay; then swim there or you could go to Tamarind Reef hotel and swim near there. Tamarind Reef is a nice, quaint hotel with a fun pool bar, but is a very basic hotel. It's one of my favorites because it is so simple. You could also probably be fine at the Buccaneer which is just up the road from Tamarind Reef. The Bucc has a nice beach and a peninsula you can swim around. IT also has a beast of a golf course for your hubby and good snorkeling for the kids at all three places. St John is spectacular and has several beautiful bays/beaches on the north side. If you can swing the Westin, it also has a beautiful pool that, in a pinch, you could do laps in.
Children
No Data