Acclimating to cold water swims

Hi folk, My goal may be a bit grandiose, but my aim in two years is to do the Boston Light Swim. I'm no star, no speedster, but I did complete the 5.4 mile swim about which I posted a few weeks ago. I'm not sure the water temp for that swim, but just my guess is that it was somewhere in the 70s, maybe high seventies? I didn't wear a wetsuit and never felt the need for one, although I was beginning to feel mildly chilly in the last half mile--nothing really significant. It wasn't to the point of real discomfort, and I wrote it off as a bit of fatigue--but as I was going to finish soon, it didn't bother me all that much. I think next year may be too soon to aim for it, since I have a few things in mind that I need to accomplish before I take it on: 1. Improve speed--I did that to some extent to make the 4 hour cut-off for this year's swim, but I'd need to improve more to go under 5 hours for 8 miles. 2. Adapt to cold water. I will say I often have enjoyed cold water--during a hiking trip in NH, there was a swim break in a pond that was quite cold (not sure of temp but everyone gasped when the got in), and I was the only adult female to swim; during an Outward Bound course in Maine, the one thing I most enjoyed doing was taking that jump off the 12 foot pier into Penobscot Bay in late May. In a mile ocean swim I did several years ago, the organizers recommended wetsuits b/c the temp would be in the 60s. I didn't wear one and had no problems w/ the water temp (the breakers, now that was another issue--but water temp was fine). Still, I've become a bit too used to warmer water lately so need to find my way back to some more cold tolerance. Finally, 3. Need to save those pennies--I see it's a more expensive swim than those I've done! (My focus is on no. 2, but feel free if you have any suggestions for no. 3 to toss them into the thread.) Okay, so experienced cold water swimmers, your tips? One thing I plan to do during the fall season: I belong to an open water swim group, and we do a river swim once a week (distance is flexible--people do what they feel ready for). I understand this swim could keep being held through October. So I see that as an opportunity to acclimate. I'm thinking of a longish swim next year in a colder environment--I want to still do the same one I did this year only improve the speed, but thinking to add another long one. Do you necessarily have to gain much weight to deal with cold water swims? I also run so I don't want to gain if possible, but maybe it's a survival thing too. I'm also posting here b/c if I put my plan on the internet, I'm less likely to back down and think, "Am I crazy? That's too long!" (Both true, btw, but that's what I thought of the 5 miler and still did it three times.) So this is my way of committing to the plan--or some might say I should be committed, but no comment there! ;)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I typically swim in 54-57 degree open waters in Monterey Bay, CA, year around without a wetsuit. Following are my experiences: 1. Get used to summer water and keep swimming into winter. Make your transition to cold water gradual. 2. When entering the water take a few breaststrokes and use this brief time to get your breathing under control. Concentrate on relaxing; your body and your breathing may want you to do otherwise. Breathing is very important. 3. Start swimming slowly at first and gradually work into your normal stroke rate and pace being mindful to relax and breath properly. Very important to use this time to settle down and find your "normal". Relax. 4. Depending on the water temperature be aware of your hand and leg tolerance to the cold. Your limbs are furthest from your heart and are prone to getting cold first. You may find it difficult to "cup" your hand as your fingers get cold. 5. Don't push your distance from shore so that you can't comfortably return. With time, experience, and water temperature differences your body will tell you what your limits are. 6. Check the National Data Bouy Center for a marine bouy near where you swim. This data is consistent and objective as opposed to "It's cold today". In additional to near real time water temperatures it may also provide important wind direction, wave, and tidal information; all are important for open water swimming and can help you decide if a trip to the beach is worth it. 7. I always bring a one-gallon insulated container of warm water for a rinse after my swim. It feels like a million bucks and will take the edge off the cold. Change quickly into dry warm clothing otherwise you will still be losing body heat. During the winter I always bring gloves, socks and boots. Dry layered clothing is important. 8. Bring an insulated hot beverage/soup to help restore body heat. It really works! A brisk walk also helps. 9. Learn the signs of hypothermia and be sure to swim with someone who knows them also. Enjoy the freedom of swimming without a wetsuit. After a while you will learn to embrace the cold, feel more invigorated, and be more connected with your marine environment. You will swim slower and your are at a bit of a disadvantage compared to your wetsuit friends because of the lost buoyancy. But who cares?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I typically swim in 54-57 degree open waters in Monterey Bay, CA, year around without a wetsuit. Following are my experiences: 1. Get used to summer water and keep swimming into winter. Make your transition to cold water gradual. 2. When entering the water take a few breaststrokes and use this brief time to get your breathing under control. Concentrate on relaxing; your body and your breathing may want you to do otherwise. Breathing is very important. 3. Start swimming slowly at first and gradually work into your normal stroke rate and pace being mindful to relax and breath properly. Very important to use this time to settle down and find your "normal". Relax. 4. Depending on the water temperature be aware of your hand and leg tolerance to the cold. Your limbs are furthest from your heart and are prone to getting cold first. You may find it difficult to "cup" your hand as your fingers get cold. 5. Don't push your distance from shore so that you can't comfortably return. With time, experience, and water temperature differences your body will tell you what your limits are. 6. Check the National Data Bouy Center for a marine bouy near where you swim. This data is consistent and objective as opposed to "It's cold today". In additional to near real time water temperatures it may also provide important wind direction, wave, and tidal information; all are important for open water swimming and can help you decide if a trip to the beach is worth it. 7. I always bring a one-gallon insulated container of warm water for a rinse after my swim. It feels like a million bucks and will take the edge off the cold. Change quickly into dry warm clothing otherwise you will still be losing body heat. During the winter I always bring gloves, socks and boots. Dry layered clothing is important. 8. Bring an insulated hot beverage/soup to help restore body heat. It really works! A brisk walk also helps. 9. Learn the signs of hypothermia and be sure to swim with someone who knows them also. Enjoy the freedom of swimming without a wetsuit. After a while you will learn to embrace the cold, feel more invigorated, and be more connected with your marine environment. You will swim slower and your are at a bit of a disadvantage compared to your wetsuit friends because of the lost buoyancy. But who cares?
Children
No Data