Any open water swimming in Washington DC??

Hi Folks, I need to be in DC the last week of July, right before 5K Nationals. I'd like to stay ready for Elk Lake, and I'd love to swim near DC. Are there any groups who do open water in Washington DC, during the week? Or recommendations on places I could safely go alone? Thanks much!
  • Hi, Try Lane 4 Swiiming, Wave one swimming and Crossing Currents aquatics. There are many parks in Maryland including Gunpowder Falls and Sandy Point.
  • Hey suphillips, there is OW swimming here. For 4 bucks on a weekend you can go down US-1 to Mason Neck and swim there. The rangers don't care as long as you're not teaching or leading a class. Sandy Point is also great on the weekends. Check out the calendar I maintain here: www.marathonswimmers.org/.../ It might give you some ideas of where to swim. If you stay through 3 August, you can join me in the Harbor Tri-Swims. WaveOne swimming does Thursday night happy hour swims at National Harbor. Sadly there is no metro there, you'll have to drive. Parking is expensive, but the swimming is great. Hell, if you stay in National Harbor while you're here, you can swim every morning. I met a guy there who swims in the harbor every morning; they leave the buoys out.