Exterra Lava Pants vs. Full Wetsuit (For racing)

Former Member
Former Member
Hi Guys, I have a question about the exterra lava pants vs using a wetsuit for racing in wetsuit legal races. I am going to compete in our (South African) national championships as a member of an off road (exterra – unelated to wetsuits) triathlon team next week end. My part will be the 1500m open water swim portion. Open water is my event, but I hate using wetsuits (as many true swimmers do I have found). My issue with wetsuits are that they are not designed for swimmers and are usually too tight around my shoulders/chest. Also hate the feeling of restricted movement and constricting neck seal. But the team is pretty competitive and to make sure I don’t lose ground to the top guys I will have to suit up. I have recently found the LAVA pants online (www.xterrawetsuits.com/.../lava-pants). I have ordered a demo pair but wanted to know if anyone has tried them in a race? I am specifically interested in how they compare speed wise to a full wetsuit. The idea of having the same boynacy with the open chest and freedom of movement really appeals to me. But I have a sleeveless wetsuit and seeing as I do most of my races without wetsuits I do not want to spend money on another “wetsuit” if it is slower than the one I already have. So I was just wondering of anyone has compared these speed wise to their other full/sleeveless suit in a race? Thanks DAN