Competitive Open Water Swimming at Age 65

Former Member
Former Member
I am a long-time OW swimmer. I do most of my training in a 25 yd pool with once weekly OW swims (mostly spring, summer and fall). I'm gradually getting away from wetsuits. I would like to enter 5K & 10K swims this coming season and want to train accordingly. Mostly, I just do straight laps (typically 1.5 miles/4-5 times per week); there is no interval training. I'm fairly competitive for my age but I just feel that I'm stuck in my workout routine. I need to be convinced that introducing some high intensity interval training - if that's what is called for - will get me to the next level. Any thoughts and experience? Any authoritative reading? I really want my workouts to count!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Todd: Again, thank you. I'm going to immediately start rethinking my workout regiment relying mostly on intervals at a sustainable pace for each interval. Initially, I'm going to make these intervals equal about 3000 yards which is equal to what I'm swimming now. I'll probably start with 10 x 100s and maybe 5 x 200s and watch the clock to maintain my interval times. I can build up from there. As to bilateral breathing, I'm going to give it a serious try. In the past, it just threw off my symmetry but I do know it is a superior stroke method. I also appreciate the cross training which I've already started. I agree completely how important it is. Unfortunately, I love food too much to compromise. I will just have to swim more, burn more calories, and take my chances in this department. Life is not perfect. Thank you again for taking time on this important subject matter. I love swimming, open water swimming, and see myself doing it well into my 70s. Interestingly enough, I see myself actually getting better (more speed and endurance) over the next several years, thanks in part, to comments such as yours. Those of us who do OW really consider ourselves a lucky lot.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Todd: Again, thank you. I'm going to immediately start rethinking my workout regiment relying mostly on intervals at a sustainable pace for each interval. Initially, I'm going to make these intervals equal about 3000 yards which is equal to what I'm swimming now. I'll probably start with 10 x 100s and maybe 5 x 200s and watch the clock to maintain my interval times. I can build up from there. As to bilateral breathing, I'm going to give it a serious try. In the past, it just threw off my symmetry but I do know it is a superior stroke method. I also appreciate the cross training which I've already started. I agree completely how important it is. Unfortunately, I love food too much to compromise. I will just have to swim more, burn more calories, and take my chances in this department. Life is not perfect. Thank you again for taking time on this important subject matter. I love swimming, open water swimming, and see myself doing it well into my 70s. Interestingly enough, I see myself actually getting better (more speed and endurance) over the next several years, thanks in part, to comments such as yours. Those of us who do OW really consider ourselves a lucky lot.
Children
No Data