Competitive Open Water Swimming at Age 65

Former Member
Former Member
I am a long-time OW swimmer. I do most of my training in a 25 yd pool with once weekly OW swims (mostly spring, summer and fall). I'm gradually getting away from wetsuits. I would like to enter 5K & 10K swims this coming season and want to train accordingly. Mostly, I just do straight laps (typically 1.5 miles/4-5 times per week); there is no interval training. I'm fairly competitive for my age but I just feel that I'm stuck in my workout routine. I need to be convinced that introducing some high intensity interval training - if that's what is called for - will get me to the next level. Any thoughts and experience? Any authoritative reading? I really want my workouts to count!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    ChuckL, I have a client your age I am training for an 8k. He is one of my smoothest swimmers. No straight laps or distance only/swimming for time - ie; getting in the pool and swimming for an hour straight. Ever. Even on OW work. Create a loop or set distance. It is all sets and interval on the clock. First perfect your technique, make it textbook. Learn to bi breathe and flip-turn, or open turn very well and fast and streamlined. Then build conditioning, then speed. You have to swim 50m at a very good repeat pace before you can swim repeat 500's, then hold 5k at that same pace. Then you can do longer training sets in the pool and OW (5 X 1000). Train your full race distance, and then some as you close in to race; if you are aiming for a 10k, do some 11-12k workouts in the months leading in. Make a 10k race distance feel shorter, great confidence builder.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    ChuckL, I have a client your age I am training for an 8k. He is one of my smoothest swimmers. No straight laps or distance only/swimming for time - ie; getting in the pool and swimming for an hour straight. Ever. Even on OW work. Create a loop or set distance. It is all sets and interval on the clock. First perfect your technique, make it textbook. Learn to bi breathe and flip-turn, or open turn very well and fast and streamlined. Then build conditioning, then speed. You have to swim 50m at a very good repeat pace before you can swim repeat 500's, then hold 5k at that same pace. Then you can do longer training sets in the pool and OW (5 X 1000). Train your full race distance, and then some as you close in to race; if you are aiming for a 10k, do some 11-12k workouts in the months leading in. Make a 10k race distance feel shorter, great confidence builder.
Children
No Data