Competitive Open Water Swimming at Age 65

Former Member
Former Member
I am a long-time OW swimmer. I do most of my training in a 25 yd pool with once weekly OW swims (mostly spring, summer and fall). I'm gradually getting away from wetsuits. I would like to enter 5K & 10K swims this coming season and want to train accordingly. Mostly, I just do straight laps (typically 1.5 miles/4-5 times per week); there is no interval training. I'm fairly competitive for my age but I just feel that I'm stuck in my workout routine. I need to be convinced that introducing some high intensity interval training - if that's what is called for - will get me to the next level. Any thoughts and experience? Any authoritative reading? I really want my workouts to count!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Betsy: Thank you for your reply and recommendations. Do you think that interval training alone is best or some mix of distance only and interval training works. Why is "pace" so important? I think I'm holding a pace when I do my 3,000 yard pool swim which I think is key to completing an event of similar distance; learn not to go too fast, to control my breathing over time/distance, and to experience the effect of a prolonged time nonstop in the water. That's what pace means to me but not sure if my version squares with the competitive swimming world's version. Thoughts? And, thanks again for your reply.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Betsy: Thank you for your reply and recommendations. Do you think that interval training alone is best or some mix of distance only and interval training works. Why is "pace" so important? I think I'm holding a pace when I do my 3,000 yard pool swim which I think is key to completing an event of similar distance; learn not to go too fast, to control my breathing over time/distance, and to experience the effect of a prolonged time nonstop in the water. That's what pace means to me but not sure if my version squares with the competitive swimming world's version. Thoughts? And, thanks again for your reply.
Children
No Data