Competitive Open Water Swimming at Age 65

Former Member
Former Member
I am a long-time OW swimmer. I do most of my training in a 25 yd pool with once weekly OW swims (mostly spring, summer and fall). I'm gradually getting away from wetsuits. I would like to enter 5K & 10K swims this coming season and want to train accordingly. Mostly, I just do straight laps (typically 1.5 miles/4-5 times per week); there is no interval training. I'm fairly competitive for my age but I just feel that I'm stuck in my workout routine. I need to be convinced that introducing some high intensity interval training - if that's what is called for - will get me to the next level. Any thoughts and experience? Any authoritative reading? I really want my workouts to count!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Not interested in faking a 5- or 10k, just want to train efficiently. I'm slowly ramping up my pool distance but so far am stuck with my no interval training technique. Looking for something very authoritative regarding the benefits - if any - of interval training for the type of distance events I'm planning.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Not interested in faking a 5- or 10k, just want to train efficiently. I'm slowly ramping up my pool distance but so far am stuck with my no interval training technique. Looking for something very authoritative regarding the benefits - if any - of interval training for the type of distance events I'm planning.
Children
No Data