Competitive Open Water Swimming at Age 65

Former Member
Former Member
I am a long-time OW swimmer. I do most of my training in a 25 yd pool with once weekly OW swims (mostly spring, summer and fall). I'm gradually getting away from wetsuits. I would like to enter 5K & 10K swims this coming season and want to train accordingly. Mostly, I just do straight laps (typically 1.5 miles/4-5 times per week); there is no interval training. I'm fairly competitive for my age but I just feel that I'm stuck in my workout routine. I need to be convinced that introducing some high intensity interval training - if that's what is called for - will get me to the next level. Any thoughts and experience? Any authoritative reading? I really want my workouts to count!
Parents
  • Chuck, You asked about books; I'd recommend Swim Smooth's book. At your age, you could be competitive in 5Ks and 10Ks with some interval training. Hell, depending upon the race, you could place w/o interval training. Last two years in the Swim for the Potomac 10K, I think the oldest swimmer was in his low 50's. Good luck and have fun. OW is addictive, and longer is even more addictive. ;)
  • Chuck, You asked about books; I'd recommend Swim Smooth's book. At your age, you could be competitive in 5Ks and 10Ks with some interval training. Hell, depending upon the race, you could place w/o interval training. Last two years in the Swim for the Potomac 10K, I think the oldest swimmer was in his low 50's. Good luck and have fun. OW is addictive, and longer is even more addictive. ;)
Children
No Data