2014 races?

The season is just over and I'm itching to get ready for next year's OW races. I'm not sure which ones I'll do. Which races are you eyeballing or earmarking for next year? Are they races you're doing again or new adventures?
  • Well I just pulled the trigger and signed up for the race around Key West in late June. I'm sketching out a training plan with my coach and am ready to go. EEEEEPPPPP!! Very, very excited. Still doing the other race in St John as well. OUtside of those two, maybe something in the fall, we'll see if I get burned out by June. Nice! I'm sure those two will be great swims!
  • What about the 2014 Change Your Latitude- 57* North Open Water Challenge?! furthest north open ocean swim in the Western Hemisphere! August 3 in Sitka, Alaska. (not so shameless plug...)!
  • Gah! I have huge admiration for you wonderfully crazy people who swim in the cold, but this girl is part lizard. LOL! 70-72 would be my absolute bottom of the cold spectrum. Sad but true. LOL! Merry Christmas y'all.
  • I would love to do the "Change Your Latitude", but don't think I could handle 57°F water either! I've done 62°F a few times and that's not so bad, but getting down under 60, I don't do so well. Went out to the local lake in late October. Water temperature was probably in the mid 50s and even with a wetsuit I was having cognitive problems after a 30 minute swim!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I did a three miler in ocean city Maryland last summer. it was cold and rough, unusual for OC that time of year. maybe will do it in 2014 (they have one, 3 and 9 miler!). there is a one miler hosted by ocean city beach patrol every year. I love that one, its a beautiful evening swim. both are in July. I do a two miler in the Chesapeake bay at rocky point, (pan can purple swim. in august). Maybe this year I will win the lottery for the 4.4 mile Chesapeake bay swim. I have done a 2.4 mile in sept in the choptank (chesapeakeman), however in 2013 there were too may jellyfish. I got stung so bad. - is it obvious I live in Maryland. thanks every one for the lists of other swims!
  • Former Member
    I have a pretty definitive list for OW races around the Toronto/Southern Ontario area for 2014. E-mail me through my site if you are interested. The sport has exploded the past 2 years locally, there is almost a race every weekend early June through early September.
  • Former Member
    The registration for the 2014 Swim the Suck opens on February 1, 2014.