Swimming across the Hudson River

Former Member
Former Member
On Friday, Aug 30, 8:19 am, I was swimming across the Hudson River. I started from Riverside Park, level 75. street, swam across to New Jersey, touched the ground and went back to Manhattan where I landed at the boundary between Hudson River Park and Riverside Park South (level 60. street). Thus the current took me down 15 streets, ie 0.75 miles (1.2 km). For half of the time (approx. 30 minutes) I was exposed to a current with an estimated speed of 1.2 Knots resulting in the aforementioned downdrift of 0.75 Miles. In all I swam a distance of 2 × 0.75 miles = 1.5 Miles (2 × 1.2 km = 2.4 km). The 2 crossings took me 58 minutes out of which I spent at least 5 minutes watching out for motorboats. Because of the early hour of the day I had only 2 motorboats crossing my way, each at least at a distance of 150 yards. I was very relieved about that knowing that motorboats are the greatest danger to unattended open water swimming. For those that live close to Manhattan it may not be something extraordinary to swim in the Hudson River, were it not for the fact that I am from Austria visiting the U.S. on a 24 day vacation with my family. We arrived on Monday, Aug 26 in N.Y.C. and our schedule was sooo tight that I didn’t even think about any swim, let alone crossing the Hudson. By Friday morning we had slowed down a little bit from all the sightseeing and shopping so I grabbed the opportunity. Knowing that the most reputable swim races of the world are regularly organized in the Hudson River I felt honored and privileged to immerse myself into it. According to my divng computer the water temperature was 23°C/73°F. The salinity was surprisingly low, but may have been normal for an ebb tide. After reading all the blogs about the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (M.I.M.S) I had familiarized myself with the treacherous waters I was about to enter, especially the tidal currents. I looked up tide tables from the area: high water was at 5:15 am, low water was due at 11:30 am and my entry time was right in between at 8:19 am. Besides it was halfmoon with neap tides causing somewhat slower currents. All that information helped me a little bit, however I still didn’t know exactly when the current would shift to downstream and how strong it would be. As I swam towards New Jersey I passed by a huge cargo boat that was anchored right in the middle of the River. Until then there was no current at all but as soon as I approached the boat I noticed a downstream current that made it difficult to pass in front of the bow. Once I passed the ship the current started to take me down swiftly. At this point I wasn’t sure if the current would “stay” on the New Jersey side of the river or if it just started all the way from bank to bank. Luckily halfway back, as soon as I was again on level with the cargo boat mentioned above, the current slowed down again. By this time I had already drifted 600 yards below the stern of the boat and had a magnificient view at Riverside Park South. I just made it back to shore slightly above Pier 99 (the first Pier downriver on the lefthand side) and landed exactly at a gangway. I didn’t even have to climb over the fence that would normally curtail visitors from the waterfront. I was very relieved that the thing I feared the most didn’t happen: to be arrested by the Police:). A few people observed my “arrival” and responded positively. Now I had to run back up to my starting place at Riverside Park/Level 75. Street, where I left my clothes on a pontoon (with a sign offering free Kayak rentals on weekends). When I squeezed myself between two bars to reach the pontoon a park security officer watched me from his car and asked me why I didn’t simply climb over the top bar. His nice touch rounded up my unforgettable memories of my swim across the Hudson River. Ten minutes later I was back at the Hotel and another 15 Minutes later I was off to Central Park with my son taking pictures. After spending stressful days in major cities on the West Coast I didn’t even look forward to New York City but I was unexpectedly and surprisingly overwhelmed by it’s charm. Cheers, Gerald
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Thanks, ddl As I said in my original post, I took advantage of this unique opportunity during my short visit to NYC. The few people that saw me where supportive, including a park security officer from Riverside Park. I hid my clothes skillfully underneath a stack of rental kayaks on the pontoon that I used as my starting point. As I swim regularly in public areas I have learned how to drop my clothes in a way that people can't find them. I didn't know you could swim across the Hudson without some sort of permission. Bravo for the adventure! Also glad your clothing wasn't stolen. A lot of Europeans in NYC innocently trust all strangers. A German at our gym left sandals outside the locker and they were stolen--used sandals.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Thanks, ddl As I said in my original post, I took advantage of this unique opportunity during my short visit to NYC. The few people that saw me where supportive, including a park security officer from Riverside Park. I hid my clothes skillfully underneath a stack of rental kayaks on the pontoon that I used as my starting point. As I swim regularly in public areas I have learned how to drop my clothes in a way that people can't find them. I didn't know you could swim across the Hudson without some sort of permission. Bravo for the adventure! Also glad your clothing wasn't stolen. A lot of Europeans in NYC innocently trust all strangers. A German at our gym left sandals outside the locker and they were stolen--used sandals.
Children
No Data