Jackson Lake Swims - Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone ventured a swim in Jackson Lake, Jackson, WY? I have been able to substantiate swimming is allowed.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    What's the water temperature?
  • I swam in Jenny Lake a few years ago; it's near Jackson Lake and probably around the same temperature. I don't know what the exact water temperature is, but I'd qualify it as: friggin' cold. I do believe it's above 55F though. String Lake, which is just north of Jenny Lake, is supposedly warmer because it's not as deep.
  • In my experience in California and Colorado, big lakes at similar elevations are unswimmably cold in June, with water temps under 50F. You would have better odds of water over 55F if you were going in August or September. According to Wikipedia, "The water of the lake averages below 60°F (16°C), even during the summer."
  • Former Member
    no luck with water temperature - I have posted an email to the national park. I might have better luck searching other Wyoming lake temperatures in an effort to handicap water temperatures at Jackson Lake. I am not concerned provided water temperature is higher than 55 F. The family is traveling to Jackson, WY, for a wedding in June 2014.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the info - very helpful. Will have to research hiking Jenny lake too.
  • Former Member
    In my experience in California and Colorado, big lakes at similar elevations are unswimmably cold in June, with water temps under 50F. Except maybe the recent Bering Strait relay swimmers ;-)
  • Don't know about Grand Teton NP, but Glacier NP doesn't care. I have swum in four lakes, all in September, when they are warmest. Surface temp is about 60 (or colder), with a 5-degree drop rather fast. Someone has just finished a 10-year effort to immerse himself in all the named lakes in Glacier, and written about his experiences. Bears are often featured. I will try to find a link. glacierexplorer.com/.../
  • Former Member
    Don't know about Grand Teton NP, but Glacier NP doesn't care. I have swum in four lakes, all in September, when they are warmest. Surface temp is about 60 (or colder), with a 5-degree drop rather fast. Someone has just finished a 10-year effort to immerse himself in all the named lakes in Glacier, and written about his experiences. Bears are often featured. I will try to find a link. glacierexplorer.com/.../ accessed the link finally - good entertainment glacierexplorer.com/.../ marc should try an open water swim or two.
  • We were camped in the park on a peninsula. An island beckoned across the water. I don't remember what the water temperature was, but I swam to the island with my wife in a kayak. We switched on the way back. It was cold, very cold, but enjoyable. The marina posts the water temperature and allows swimming. Patrick
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Has anyone ventured a swim in Jackson Lake, Jackson, WY? I have been able to substantiate swimming is allowed. We were there several years ago in Aug and swam there. Water was cool in Aug, possibly in 60's. Pretty clear. Only one motorboat to watch out for at that time. Not sure what it would be like in June.