Water Temp v wetsuit

Tried my new wetsuit out at the Y. Water temp around 80. Works very well, but too warm to do much of a workout. Question: What water temp would be the line for wetsuit or no wetsuit? Is there a temp set by the event?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    It could, Bottom line: If you allow people the use of performance-enhancing devices, they will be used. In deciding which devices to allow, and which to ban, it helps to consult the history and spirit of the sport. Does the device conflict with this history and spirit in a fundamental way? On this basis neoprene caps should be allowed. I'm sure Ederle and others would have used them if they were available, and would find it comical that they are banned by all channel associations. As a side note: I did a bit of research in this area and the conclusion drawn by scientific studies is that it helps retain heat upon first immersion before the body shuts off blood flow to your skin. This is of course a critical time with regards to cold shock. On this basis I think it should be considered a safety device. Otherwise, you lose the same amount of heat per square inch as any other part of the body (although I think there may be one exception). There is one other time it helps, and that is when you first get out of the water when warm blood returns to the scalp. Again acting as a safety device. This contradicted everything I had learned in mountaineering as well. For illustrative purposes, uncover 60% of your body, but make sure your head and neck are covered. Now go out into a blizzard and tell me how that works for you.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    It could, Bottom line: If you allow people the use of performance-enhancing devices, they will be used. In deciding which devices to allow, and which to ban, it helps to consult the history and spirit of the sport. Does the device conflict with this history and spirit in a fundamental way? On this basis neoprene caps should be allowed. I'm sure Ederle and others would have used them if they were available, and would find it comical that they are banned by all channel associations. As a side note: I did a bit of research in this area and the conclusion drawn by scientific studies is that it helps retain heat upon first immersion before the body shuts off blood flow to your skin. This is of course a critical time with regards to cold shock. On this basis I think it should be considered a safety device. Otherwise, you lose the same amount of heat per square inch as any other part of the body (although I think there may be one exception). There is one other time it helps, and that is when you first get out of the water when warm blood returns to the scalp. Again acting as a safety device. This contradicted everything I had learned in mountaineering as well. For illustrative purposes, uncover 60% of your body, but make sure your head and neck are covered. Now go out into a blizzard and tell me how that works for you.
Children
No Data